I enjoy facilitating learning not only in the classroom with students but for adults as well!
Some learning experiences that I have developed and led and/or co-led are:
Early Literacy for Parents: Every year I facilitate a workshop for parents to help them to understand the importance of modeling literacy in the home and to share practical ideas on how to develop their child’s literacy skills. I also extend this learning through my ReaderNation website.
Classroom Walk-throughs: Collaborated to develop a classroom walk-through model for our school that was shared to administrators in our division
7Habits of Highly Effective People: Trained all staff in the 7Habits of Highly Effective People. This facilitated training is ongoing as new staff come to work at our school.
E-portfolios for Administrators: Presented my electronic portfolio and my reflection process to the Administrators Mentorship Group which is based on Wolf Creek Public Schools Admin Procedure 421. This Assessment Model for Administrators includes 7 domains: Human Element, Learning Leadership, Visioning, Professional Growth, Management, Community and WCPS Admin Association.
- Feedback:”Hi Maureen. Thanks again for taking the time to share your portfolio and thoughts on the process you use to be a reflective leader. You did a fabulous job and I must say, the feedback from the group was very positive!”
Digital Citizenship for parents & Staff:
- Created the 7Habits of Digital Citizenship. This built upon what we had already committed to as a staff and provided common language for all stakeholders.
- Educated parents about Digital Citizenship at school Council meeting. Parents were very receptive.
- Educated staff about digital citizenship and have created an AISI Wolfden where they are experiencing WC social media. After AISI in-servicing, staff must comment and upload plans into Wolfden.
Cognitive Coaching Overview: Presented this coaching model to all administrators in our division as well as at a CARC session in June 2011.
Quote from psychologist/consultant at a CARC Session on Cognitive Coaching:
“…thanks for an awesome presentation…Your knowledge in this
area is very evident…and you shared it in an exceptionally effective
manner!! You have a great way of connecting with people – you walk the talk!”
Comprehension Strategies for Guided Practice: Collaborated to develop a series of professional development session within our own school to build the capacity of staff to effectively teach reading through guided practice. I facilitated the main pedagogy behind teaching the strategies. A few examples are:
- Facilitated in-servicing on “schema” within guided practice for reading. Staff Quotes:
- “That was one of the best PD sessions I have ever had!”
- “Great in-service! You gave me some great ideas!”
2. In-service on the Questioning strategy for guided practice. Staff realized the connection to schema.
Pedagogy First: Collaborated to submit a successful proposal for funding to develop 21st Century learning environments
What so Great About Twitter? in collaboration with Vicky Sahlin
Feedback from ATLE:
“That was AWESOME!!!“
“Just a short note to say thanks for the excellent ways you built capacity through your ATLE session at the conference…your session was powerfully implemented. Thanks for your work!!!”
Leadership Matters: Presented I Used to Think… to our district’s Administrator’s Association and to the Collage of Alberta School Superintendents.
DocuShare Road Show: Facilitated district DocuShare review in collaboration with Karen Frezell, software support coordinator, to assist schools in the use of this secure document storage technology.
Creating Excellent Learning Environments: Launching Daily 5 at IREC: Facilitated workshop at district Summer Institute on school journey in Daily 5/CAFE practices in collaboration with coaches Vicky Sahlin and Karen Laszuk.
The Power of Twitter: Facilitated a session in collaboration with Vicky Sahlin at the Collage of Alberta School Superintendents meeting.
21 Century Teaching & Learning Symposium in Sept. 2014
Leadership for Technology Integration: ATLE: Convergence Conference in Nov. 2014
Google Summit 2015 in Mar. 2015
Bully-Free Environment- Parent & Teacher Sessions Feb., 2016
Systemic Change Session: Literacy Summit May 30, 2016
#WTPRLeadership: 21 Century Teaching & Learning Symposium Sept., 2016